Friday, August 20, 2021

August 20th 1993, Catherine Wheel and Slowdive at Lee's Palace

 

This show was one of those brilliant pairings, an excellent evening of Shoegaze bliss from two of my favorite bands from the 90s. I have no idea who came up with the idea of putting them both on the same bill but it was a pretty inspired choice.

Slowdive were magnificent that night. I had only recently gotten into them at the time with the release of "Souvlaki" so it was a great time for me to see them, right when I was most curious about finding out more about them. They played a shorter opening set but they were still magical, with the interstellar overdrive of Souvlaki Space Station and the jangly Pop perfection of Alison standing out as highlights. 

Catherine Wheel were touring for "Chrome" so they were wearing white outfits and the stage was awash with blue lights in keeping with the visual aesthetic of the album. Some would argue that Catherine Wheel were a bit too heavy to be considered Shoegaze, but their sweeping and space-y effected guitar sound totally earned them that distinction in my mind. It should come as no surprise that their take on Black Metallic that night was stunning and beautiful, a sweeping grandeur that I wish you could all hear for yourselves.

It was a great show and a great night. Often I try to weave in a story with these posts trying to share something more about me or about life or whatever, but sometimes it's just about remembering a great night, and that's all it needs to be. This is one of those posts, just remembering a pair of excellent performances by a pair of excellent bands...

No comments:

Post a Comment