Monday, November 15, 2021

November 15th 2021, Eisbaer Night One at The Garrison

 

I've always appreciated the idea of a good music festival. A well curated collection of artists can be a rewarding concert experience, and it's often proven to be a great opportunity for discovery as well, introducing the audience to other artists that they may not have been aware of before. When it's done well it can be an excellent time, and the Eisbaer event at the Garrison on November 15th and 16th was an especially excellent time. Spread out over two nights the event featured a solid mix of local and touring artists with a wide range of styles and it gave me a good opportunity to see some bands I already knew as well as introduce me to some others that have become fast favorites. 

I went to the first night with my friend Carrie, and while it has absolutely nothing to do with the show, I feel the need to point out that on the drive over we saw a possum. I don't think I've ever seen one before, so that was pretty cool. I hesitate to say that possums are cute and cuddly, but there was a certain warrior's heart being displayed in this little beastie when it hissed at us, so I'm going to say that possums get two thumbs up from me for having both Edge and Attitude...

Anyway, I went to the first night with my friend Carrie, and it was a solid evening of entertainment. We got there early enough that we were able to get seats on the raised west side of the Garrison, close enough to the stage that we could see everything with a little bit of elevation, so that was good. Up first was Lee Paradise, who played a kinda funky and kinda synth-y set of Manchester-y groovy goodness. I had never heard them before, but I was impressed and the overall effect had me nodding my head and doing that little shuffly dance that I do in crowds at shows. They were really good.

The second act was Automatic and I had discovered them on Bandcamp a little while before so I was looking forward to a solid set of Retro Futurist Minimal Post-Punk Pop, and they totally delivered on that promise. Their set built on the short sharp staccato sound of their studio material and stretched out the songs into grooves that really opened up the musical space. I really like Automatic, and I hope that I'll have the chance to see them again sometime soon.

Black Marble played last and they played an awesome set, with the kind of velvet-y vocals and processed guitar that whirls and swirls and makes my heart swoon, a blend of Shoegaze and Pop sensibility that really appeals and inspires. It was an excellent set of songs and a great way to end the first night of the festival.

Over the years that I've known her, Carrie and I have often talked about the idea of Perfect Moments, those times where you feel a certain bliss just existing in a state of calm and happiness for whatever reason. I don't think we actually declared it as such at the time, but in hindsight I'm kind of thinking that drive home after night one of Eisbaer was a Perfect Moment. We didn't see any more possums on our drive back, but it had been a great night of music and both of us were riding that post-concert wave that happens after a really great show, and it just felt really good to be alive and to have spent an awesome night out with one of my favorite people. 

I think that definitely qualifies as a Perfect Moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment