Tuesday, October 19, 2021

October 19th 1994, Oasis at Lee's Palace

Oasis' first show in Toronto at Lee's Palace in 1994 has kind of a legendary status among fans, a band poised on the edge of stardom playing a small venue following the release of their first album just before they made it big. I'll admit though that based on the strength of that show I wouldn't have expected them to become as popular as they did. 
 
I had enjoyed the Supersonic single when it was released, and they were getting a lot of good press in the UK music papers so I was curious to check them out, but the show just didn't appeal to me. They were pretty static, not very dynamic, and to be honest I thought that they were kind of boring. Admittedly though, the live version of Supersonic was kind of great and they closed out the show with a really good cover of I am the Walrus, which was kind of a gutsy choice and sounded pretty cool. 
 
Certainly not the worst show I've ever seen, but definitely not one of the best. Admittedly I was always more of a Blur fan myself, so maybe the experience was just lost on me?

No comments:

Post a Comment