Thursday, September 16, 2021

September 16th 2005, Nouvelle Vague at The Rivoli


I like the idea of good songs being performed in interesting new ways, and I particularly like the idea of Bossa Nova covers of New Wave classics, so it's kind of a no brainer that I would like Nouvelle Vague. They're quirky and cool, and they fully embody my belief that the truth at the heart of a well written piece of music can still be found in whatever way it's presented. Given their set up of vocals, acoustic guitar, a cello used as a bass, some keys, and percussion, the band sometimes has to be a little clever with how they present their song choices, but they're always able to find the truth inherent in a good song and I really enjoy that. They also seem to have a real appreciation for what they're playing, a passion for what they're doing that keeps their act fresh and vital instead of becoming a novelty, and that appreciation is always apparent whenever I've seen them live.

The first time I saw Nouvelle Vague was a show at the Rivoli on September 16th 2005 with my friends Panic and Steph, a Friday night at one of my favorite venues on Queen. It was an excellent show in a crowded space, with the set list drawing heavily from the songs on their first album along with a couple of extras thrown in for good measure. Who can resist a cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead? Certainly not me! The highlight of the evening was a fantastic shimmying lounge-tastic run through Too Drunk to Fuck by the Dead Kennedys, a chance for the band to really stretch out and rock hard, or Bossa Nova hard as the case may be. Rather than dwell on nostalgia and retro appeal it became something else that was awesome, a banger, a bop, a superlative version of the song that embodied everything that Nouvelle Vague represents. Something old, something new, something fun, something you can dance to, especially if you want to do a little shimmy. Those are all good things to bring to a piece of music, right?

I like to think so.

There's an appeal to nostalgia, a sentimental appreciation for the familiar, but there's also an appeal to something new, a joy in discovery. Nouvelle Vague do an excellent job of balancing nostalgia and discovery in their work, and that balance was on full display that night at the Rivoli, a totally fun and engaging gig that reminds me why I love live music so very much. And as I wax nostalgically about their 2005 gig, I'm also very much looking forward to the next chance I'll have to see them when they come back to Toronto for a gig at the Danforth Music Hall in 2022. It promises to be another really fun show with equal parts nostalgia and discovery, and probably something that I can dance to...

No comments:

Post a Comment