Saturday, September 4, 2021

September 4th 1991, Transvision Vamp at Lee's Palace

 

 

Transvision Vamp were pretty popular in the UK between '88 and '91 driven by a strong Pop aesthetic and some tight musicianship, but they never really caught on in North America in the same way. I knew about them through constant write ups in the British music press and a handful of videos that got occasional play on MuchMusic, so when they did a short US tour with a stop at Lee's Palace in Toronto I was inspired to check them out. They put on a solid show that was entertaining and engaging, a successful hybrid of Glam that was heavy on the Marc Bolan influence and Garage Rock by way of The Troggs, all anchored by Wendy James' strong vocals. They broke up shortly thereafter but they were a lot of fun, and I'm glad I had the chance to see them when I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment